Big Block of Cheese Day Is Back, and It's Feta Than Ever
11:30 AM EDT
Here at the White House, we're dedicated to making President Obama's administration the most open and accessible in history. That's why, for the second year in a row, we thought it'd be a gouda idea to brie-unite a certain cast of characters to help us bring back a tradition that dates back to the days of President Andrew Jackson.
On February 22, 1837, President Jackson had a 1,400-pound block of cheese hauled into the main foyer of the White House for an open house with thousands of citizens and his staff, where they discussed the issues of the day while carving off slabs of cheddar.
This year, we aim to do even feta. On Wednesday, January 21, in fromage to President Jackson (and to President Bartlet, if you're a fan of The West Wing), we're hosting the second-annual virtual Big Block of Cheese Day, where members of the Obama administration will take to social media to answer your questions about the President's State of the Union address and the issues that are most important to you.
Log on to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Tumblr, and ask away using the hashtag #AskTheWH. We'll do our best to answer as many questions as we can.
So be sure to visit WhiteHouse.gov/SOTU to watch the State of the Union address on January 20, 2015 at 9 p.m. ET and check out the schedule of all the ways you can engage on the following day, January 21. We camembert to think you'd miss it.
- Share your questions on Tumblr now using the ask box
- Post your questions in the comments on Facebook with #AskTheWH
- Post a photo or video with your question on Instagram with #AskTheWH
From the road with President Obama:
- Senior Advisor Dan Pfeiffer - @Pfeiffer44
- White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest - @PressSec
- Senior Advisor Valerie Jarrett - @VJ44
- Communications Director Jen Palmieri - @JPalm44
9:15 a.m. ET: Housing in America
- In a live-streamed event hosted by Zillow, HUD Secretary Castro will answer questions from social media community using #HousinginAmerica. Learn more and watch live.
10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. ET: General Overview and State of the Union Themes
- Director of the Office of Public Engagement Paulette Aniskoff - @PAniskoff44
- Principal Deputy White House Press Secretary - @Schultz44
- Associate Communications Director Stephanie Young - @Stephanie44
- Deputy Communications Director Amy Brundage - @Brundage44
11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. ET: Education, Immigration, and Latino Issues
- Dr. Jill Biden - @DrBiden
- Director of the Domestic Policy Council Cecilia Muñoz - @Cecilia44
- Executive Director of Reach Higher Eric Waldo - @ReachHigher
- Director of Hispanic Media Katherine Vargas - @Vargas44
- Deputy Director of Hispanic Media Antoinette Rangel - @LaCasaBlanca
- Department of Education - @USEdGov
1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m. ET: Climate, Energy and Conservation
- Secretary of Energy Ernest Moniz - @ErnestMoniz
- Special Assistant to the President for Energy & Climate Change - @Utech44
- Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell – @SecretaryJewell
- Department of Interior - @Interior
- Environmental Protection Agency - @EPA
- Department of Energy - @Energy
2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. ET: Economic opportunity, infrastructure, minimum wage, and women's economic agenda
- Member of the Council of Economic Advisers Betsey Stevenson - @CEABetsey
- Deputy Director of the Office of Management and Budget - @DeeseOMB
- Secretary of Labor Tom Perez - @LaborSec
- Department of Labor - @USDOL
- Department of Transportation - @USDOT
- Counselor to the President John Podesta - @Podesta44 (climate)
3:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. ET: Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math
- Director of the Office of Science & Technology Policy Dr. John Holdren - @WhiteHouseOSTP
- U.S. Chief Technology Officer Megan Smith - @USCTO
- OSTP Assistant Director for Strategic Communications and Senior Policy Analyst Kristin Lee - @Lee44
4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. Foreign Policy
- Secretary of State John Kerry - @JohnKerry
- Deputy National Security Advisor Ben Rhodes - @Rhodes44
- National Security Council - @NSCPress
- Department of State - @StateDept
5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. Health Care
- Assistant Press Secretary Jessica Santillo - @Santillo44
- Department of Health and Human Services - @HHSGov
The State of the Union 2015: Everything You Need to Know
- Watch the exclusive enhanced speech live at WH.gov/SOTU on Tuesday, January 20, at 9 p.m. ET.
- Visit WH.gov/SOTU to sign up for speech reminders, ask a question for post-speech follow-up, and get updates on the issues.
- Share which issue you'd most like to see progress on in the time we have left.
- Be sure you get all the latest updates by following the White House on YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Tumblr.