Friday, President Biden dropped by a meeting with a bipartisan group of 13 newly-elected mayors and mayors-elect to congratulate them on their elections and emphasize the importance of the strong partnership with this Administration and local governments. The mayors and mayors-elect discussed key initiatives around public safety and housing, as well as implementation of the American Rescue Plan, Bipartisan Infrastructure Law, CHIPS and Science Act, and Inflation Reduction Act which are leading to unprecedented job creation and an economy that is being rebuilt from the bottom up and middle out.
Earlier in the day, the mayors and mayors-elect met with Second Gentleman Douglas Emhoff, Secretary of Labor Martin J. Walsh, Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Marcia Fudge, Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg, Director of the White House Office of Intergovernmental Affairs Julie Chavez Rodriguez, and Deputy Director of the White House Office of Intergovernmental Affairs Gabe Amo. White House Domestic Policy Advisor Ambassador Susan Rice provided an overview of the historic resources available to cities, and Department of Treasury Counselor to the Secretary Jacob Leibenluft discussed implementation of recovery programs and the Administration’s focus on leveraging local fiscal recovery funds for workforce development and the creation of affordable housing.
Friday’s meeting highlighted the importance the Biden-Harris Administration places on working with mayors to deliver results in communities across the country.
Mayors and Mayors-elect participating in Friday’s meeting included:
1. Mayor Ashleigh Aitken, Anaheim, CA
2. Mayor Pamela Goynes-Brown, North Las Vegas, NV
3. Mayor Chris Hoy, Salem, OR
4. Mayor-elect Becky Daggett, Flagstaff, AZ
5. Mayor-elect Craig Greenberg, Louisville, KY
6. Mayor-elect Garnett Johnson, Augusta, GA
7. Mayor-elect Phillip Jones, Newport News, VA
8. Mayor-elect Matt Mahan, San Jose, CA
9. Mayor-elect Rex Richardson, Long Beach, CA
10. Mayor-elect Brett Smiley, Providence, RI
11. Mayor-elect Sheng Thao, Oakland, CA
12. Mayor-elect Harvey Ward, Gainesville, FL
13. Mayor-elect Hollies Winston, Brooklyn Park, MN