Navigate this Section
The Office of National Drug Control Policy administers several grant programs, including the High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas (HIDTA) Program and the Drug-Free Communities (DFC) Support Program.
Through the High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas (HIDTA) Program, ONDCP supports collaborative Federal, state, local, and Tribal law enforcement and public health efforts to address overdoses and disrupt drug trafficking and production.
In 2018, as part of the ONDCP reauthorization, which was embedded in the larger Substance Use-Disorder Prevention that Promotes Opioid Recovery and Treatment (SUPPORT) for Patients and Communities Act of 2018 (P.L. 115-271) Congress created a requirement (21 U.S.C. §1704 (f)) for ONDCP to establish a tracking and reporting system for federally funded drug-related grant programs. The purpose of the new laws is to:
- Ensure the public has electronic access to information identifying: all drug control grants and pertinent identifying information for each grant; any available performance metrics, evaluations, or other information indicating the effectiveness of such programs
- Facilitate efforts to identify duplication, overlap, or gaps in funding to provide increased accountability of Federally funded grants for substance use disorder treatment, prevention, and enforcement
- Identify barriers in the grant application process impediments that applicants currently have in the grant application process with applicable agencies.
In response to this requirement ONDCP established a process to collect drug-related grant information from all national drug control program agencies with drug control grant programs. This information is consolidated into web links at Grants.Gov and USASpending.Gov. Although there is some overlap between the systems, generally the Grants.Gov link is the best source for currently available funding opportunities while USASpending.Gov has a deeper history of past grant programs. The specific links are below.
- Grants.Gov: Search Grants | GRANTS.GOV
- USASpending.Gov: Federal Awards | Advanced Search | USAspending
- Performance Information for Drug Control Grants (PDF)
Note that once on the specific website, the information can be tailored in a number of ways, including by agency, by keyword, and by fiscal year. For example, information on grants.gov include links by “opportunity number.” Clicking on that number brings you to a dedicated description of the program and more information about the program, how to apply, and additional information and web links. Agencies provide available performance and outcome data within their program documents under each grant program.
As referenced above, specific information about agency grants are embedded within each specific agency grant. Agencies awarding the grants are the best source for specific information about their programs. For information about ONDCP grant programs or about the grant tracking process, please contact us at: email@example.com
ONDCP’s Grant Programs:
The Drug-Free Communities (DFC) Support Program is the Nation’s leading effort to mobilize communities to prevent youth substance use. All FY 2021 grant award recipients are here. DFC performance information can be found here.
The High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas (HIDTA) Program, since its inception in 1988, has helped public safety officials implement integrated operations against drug trafficking organizations. FY 2021 HIDTA grant awards announcements can be found here, here, and here. HIDTA Program performance information can be found here.