Lisa A. Cooper, MD, MPH
Bloomberg Distinguished Professor of Equity in Health and Healthcare and Director of the Center for Health Equity at Johns Hopkins University
Navigate this Section
Lisa A. Cooper, MD, MPH, is an internal medicine physician, social epidemiologist, and health services researcher who was born in Liberia. She was among the first to document how doctor-patient relationships can help overcome racial and ethnic disparities in healthcare.
- One of the nation’s leading researchers and practitioners in the field of health equity, having designed innovative approaches to improve physicians’ communication skills, patients’ self-management skills, and the ability of healthcare organizations to address the needs of populations experiencing health disparities.
- Recipient of numerous awards, including the American Public Health Association Helen Rodríguez-Trías Social Justice Award.
- Awarded the MacArthur “Genius” Fellowship in 2007.
- Author of the book Why Are Health Disparities Everyone’s Problem?.
- Member of U.S. National Academy of Medicine.