Saul Perlmutter, PhD
Franklin W. and Karen Weber Dabby Professor of Physics and Director of the Berkeley Institute for Data Science at University of California, Berkeley and Senior Scientist at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Navigate this Section
Saul Perlmutter, PhD, is an astrophysicist and cosmologist who received the Nobel Prize in Physics for discovering that the expansion of our universe is accelerating.
- Awarded the Shaw Prize in Astronomy, the Breakthrough Prize in Fundamental Physics, and the Albert Einstein Medal.
- Leader of the International Supernova Cosmology Project and Executive Director of the Berkeley Center for Cosmological Physics.
- Leads one of NASA’s science teams for the Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescope.
- An advocate for the teaching of scientific critical thinking to scientists and non-scientists alike, he has developed new courses at Berkeley aimed at college, high school, professional school, and on-line learning.
- Featured in PBS, Discovery Channel, and BBC documentaries, among others.
- Member of U.S. National Academy of Sciences, American Philosophical Society, and American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- Fellow of American Physical Society and American Association for the Advancement of Science.