Navigate this Section
Saul Perlmutter, PhD, is an astrophysicist and cosmologist who received the Nobel Prize in Physics for discovering that the expansion of our universe is accelerating.
- Awarded the Shaw Prize in Astronomy, the Breakthrough Prize in Fundamental Physics, and the Albert Einstein Medal.
- Leader of the International Supernova Cosmology Project and Executive Director of the Berkeley Center for Cosmological Physics.
- Leads one of NASA’s science teams for the Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescope.
- An advocate for the teaching of scientific critical thinking to scientists and non-scientists alike, he has developed new courses at Berkeley aimed at college, high school, professional school, and on-line learning.
- Featured in PBS, Discovery Channel, and BBC documentaries, among others.
- Member of U.S. National Academy of Sciences, American Philosophical Society, and American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- Fellow of American Physical Society and American Association for the Advancement of Science.